History
Logo With Tagline

RAMC

The Royal Army Medical Corps has a wondrous and proud history that serves us all to this day. It is only through understanding what was, that we can be sure of where we are going. We continue to play our part today in creating the history of the future. The technology may be more advanced but our soldiers achieve now what they achieved then- saving lives on the battlefield.


AMSMore history of the RAMC can be found at the AMS Museum website
www.ams-museum.org.uk/museum/history/ramc-history


The RAMC Association

The RAMC Association was formed in January 1925. It became a registered charity in April 1993. In Jan 2007 it amalgamated with the five other Corps Funds to form a new Charity, The RAMC Charity, which is a Company limited by guarantee. The Charity is run by a Board of Trustees and the Association is a sub committee of the Charity represented by their National Chairman who is a Trustee of the Board. At a national level the day to day running of the Association is done by its Management Committee of Regional Representatives and a dedicated Secretary. Its finance is allocated annually by the RAMC Charity.

Locally, the Association has 38 branches, each of which run their own programmes of functions and events and elect their own committee.

Bernard Law Montgomery

Writing from Berlin on 28th September 1945 Field Marshall Lord Montgomery sent the following message:

To the Royal Army Medical Corps with admiration and high regard to a Corps whose contribution to victory has been beyond all calculation’.

The RAMC Association

William Boog LeishmanIn 1926, the RAMC Association was formed to further the camaraderie of WW1 Corps veterans with Sir William Leishman being the first President. There are now some 38 branches around UK with a predominantly veteran membership although most serving Corps members also are members centrally. The Association has traditionally been supported by Corps Funds and especially for the expenses of the branch standards and standard bearers.